I’ve been working on the food and drink part of my run and trying to focus on good foods that will keep me fueled and energized. I have a lot to learn, but I have a better idea of how much water is right for me before a run, and about one banana before is good.
After, I’ve started eating homemade energy bars. I have seen a lot of recipes with endless combinations. Some recipes use a lot of dried fruit as the binding agent, and you could adapt these by omitting nut butter and sweetener and adding another cup of dried fruits pulsed until they are almost a paste. Also, cinnamon or coconut or chocolate powder or pieces could be added.
This is the perfect balance of sweet and salty and a bar is the perfect post-run snack. (For me a jog-walk is 2.5 to 4ish miles.) Even if you don’t work out, it’s a quick, healthy homemade snack that I’m sure will curb any cravings.
Homemade power bars
- 1 1/2 cups chopped mixed nuts
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 cup oats
- 1/4 cup dried fruits, roughly chopped
- 1 cup nut butter
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup sweetener (honey, agave, maple syrup) based on how sweet you want it
- Warm nut butter and sweetener over medium heat in the stove, mixing until warmed and blended together
- Put everything else in a big bowl.
- Pour the nut butter and sweetener into the bowl and mix until coated.
- Pour in an oiled baking dish or form into cookies and place it in the fridge overnight to set.
What is your pre- and post-workout diet?