I’m always looking for new recipes, and newspapers and blogs are great resources for seasonal recipes. I came across the “harvest burger” in my newspaper, and clipped the recipes when I saw one of the main ingredients is pumpkin. I love the idea of pumpkin as a base, and autumn is a great time to make this burger.
Another cool thing was how the writer introduced the burger. She says a problem with veggie burgers is that they are “trying too hard” to replace hamburgers, but veggie and grain burgers should be their own burger. I love that idea. I didn’t give up meat to have a similar replacement. I gave up meat to eat veggies and grains and spices and beans, etc.
This burger doesn’t take much prep, especially if, like me, you use canned pumpkin. And with the oats, rice, corn and onion, it definitely tastes like a fall harvest. And while most veggie burgers I make have beans as the main ingredient, this is different.
Makes 6-8 burgers
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, core and diced
- 1/2 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup quick oats, lightly toasted
- 1 can (15-ounce) pumpkin or squash purée
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6-8 burger buns
- In a medium skillet over medium-high, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the cumin and onion and saute until the onions soften and begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the red pepper and corn kernels and saute until just tender, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl and cool for 5 minutes. Add the rice, oats, pumpkin, cilantro, balsamic vinegar, cayenne, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Form the mixture into 6-8 patties, depending on size.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add the patties to the skillet, in batches if needed, and brown for 3 minutes per side. Serve on buns with preferred condiments.