I was excited when I found this recipe for chickpea and potato has for a few reasons:
- Basic ingredients I love
- Perfect post-run nutritious, complete meal
This recipe really has it all. If you want to add cheese or substitute a spice other than curry, it would still hold up. If you don’t like a lot of curry, go with a little less than 1 tablespoon. If you like your food a little crisp (like me), add a few minutes to each step.
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 2 cups finely chopped baby spinach
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 4 large eggs
- Combine potatoes, spinach, onion, ginger, curry powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the potato mixture and press into a layer. Cook, without stirring, until crispy and golden brown on the bottom, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Fold in chickpeas and zucchini, breaking up chunks of potato, until just combined. Press back into an even layer. Carve out 4 “wells” in the mixture. Break eggs, one at a time, into a cup and slip one into each indentation. Cover and continue cooking until the eggs are set, 4 to 5 minutes for soft-set yolks.