So I tried my hand at my own vegetarian burger, starting with this recipe and expanding. I had some millet in my pantry a while and figured I would use it to make a burger.
Millet was one of those things I hadn’t had before, so I picked some up while going through the bulk section at Whole Foods. It is gluten-free and is rich in B vitamins (especially niacin, B6 and folic acid), calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium and zinc, according to Wikipedia. This burger is so good, it might be my new favorite veggie burger.
Makes about 8 burgers
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup millet, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup carrots and/or celery, chopped
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes (optional, for heat)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- Place sun-dried tomatoes in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let soak until softened, about 30 minutes. Drain and finely chop.
- Bring the millet to a boil in 2 1/2 cups water until all the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff.
- Sautee the onion for 5 minutes in the oil. Add the garlic, carrots and celery and cook about 3 more minutes.
- In a big bowl combine the breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes (if using) and salt and pepper and mix.
- Add the other vegetables, millet and egg and mix.
- Form into patties and cook in a few tablespoons oil in a hot skillet for a few minutes per side, until golden brown.
This was my first time using millet. Do you have a recipe you like using millet?