When I was looking through the Hy-Vee magazine, the chicken and quinoa Southwest bake jumped out at me. I knew I could make it vegetarian and use my trusty grain mix from Target. Despite having a lot of ingredients (most are veggies or spices), this didn’t take long, was easy and was a filling meal.
Southwest grain and veggie bake
- 2 1/2 c. vegetable broth
- 3/4 c. dry quinoa or rice and grain mix
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 c. diced onion
- 1 c. diced carrot
- 1 c. diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 c. diced celery
- 1/2 c. corn
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 can black beans
- 2 cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- 1 c. shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring 1-1/2 cups broth to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan. Add quinoa; return to a boil, cover and cook over medium heat 12 minutes or until quinoa has absorbed all the broth. Remove from heat, fluff, cover and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, red bell pepper, celery and corn; sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add black pepper, chili powder, cumin and coriander and sauté 2 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add remaining 1 cup broth, black beans, diced tomatoes and prepared quinoa. Stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Top with shredded cheese. Bake 30 minutes or until heated through.