So you want to join a CSA? That’s great! Now it’s time to find the right farm.
Things to think about before you join:
- How much is the cost per share?
- How often am I getting food?
- Can I eat the food quick enough as to not waste it?
- Am I willing to take the time to clean and prepare the food?
- Am I willing to be creative when given, say, a large bag of tomatoes or endless zucchini?
- Am I adventurous to eat foods I might not like or have tried?
- Will I be around most weeks of my CSA session?
- Am I ok with the possibility that I might not get my money’s worth if weather or disease is an issue with the crop?
Questions to ask your farm:
- How long is the season and how much does it cost?
- How far will that food go, and for how many people?
- How is it grown?
- Do you deliver or do I have to pick up at the farm or another location?
- Do you have a newsletter with recipes, growing progress and how items are grown?
- What are the typical items one might receive through the season?
- What happens if I need to miss a week?
- Will I ever get food from another farm?
- Can I buy extra food for the week or food beyond what is part of the subscription?
- How long have you had your CSA program and farm?
Find that farm! Websites to search for the right CSA:
Have you been a part of a CSA? How was your experience?