It’s a great time of year for Florida produce. Mangoes and avocados just appear at work, in big bags. These aren’t the items you typically see in your grocery store. They often are more oddly shaped, have blemishes and are of various colors. This is because I live somewhere where these are the types of trees in yards. So coworkers kindly pick the fruit of their tree or after it’s just fallen to the ground, fill plastic grocery bags full of the wonderful food and set it in a central location for the lucky recipients (first-come, first-served) to take home and enjoy.
I always grab a mango or avocado when I see the bag. Even if I grabbed one yesterday. The window for the delicious treats can be small. And there are enough ways to use them that they will get used. Salads. Smoothies. Dips. Eaten alone. The list goes on. When I saw a chance to take both an avocado and a mango, I did with no regret. And I knew I wanted to use them together. So I made a little salsa. Great with chips, I wanted to treat this salsa a little better since I knew the fresh flavors would treat my taste buds so well.
Broiled tofu would be a great protein to eat with the salsa. If you want, chicken or fish would work, too, but as I’m vegetarian, I knew the acidity and creaminess of this salsa would work well with broiled tofu. And the meal was actually pretty quick, as I made the salsa while marinating the tofu, then let the salsa meld as I broiled the tofu and made my side of kale chips. A wonderful, light summer dinner came together quick. And I have plenty of salsa left over for more tofu or — much more likely — corn chips.
For this recipe, I put two slices of tofu on my plate and put about 2 tablespoons of salsa on top. It was a wonderful taste of Florida summer.
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, drained
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Cut tofu into 1/4 inch wide slices.
- Put the tofu into a shallow bowl with the vinegar and garlic.
- Marinate 30 minutes or more.
- Make the salsa while the tofu is marinating.
- When done marinating, broil the tofu about 5 minutes on each side.
- 1 large or 2 small avocado, cubed
- 1 mango, cubed
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1/2 a small red onion, diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all ingredients just enough to blend.
- Let the salsa meld while the tofu is marinating and cooking, if not longer.