Me on the Endless Bridge at the Guthrie Theater overlooking the Stone Arch Bridge and Mississippi River in November 2013.
I consider myself a pretty private person. I don’t like being the center of attention, even if something about me is being celebrated. I don’t share a lot for a variety of reasons, often even with those close to me.
I’m not about to go into a big thing here, but the past year has brought many very-high highs and very-low lows and everything in between to my life. My strength has been tested, my life is much different than it was at the beginning of 2013, but I’m trying to be the best me there is given the cards I’m dealt.
After 9.5 years away from the Midwest, a place I’ve always considered my home, I am moving back today. I moved away a year after college, leaving my hometown and moving to Georgia. I only knew one person and had held an entry-level job in my field of journalism for one year. At that time I had a plan of where I would like to be, career-wise by the time I was 30, but beyond that (30 and the career part of my life), I had no plan. The newspaper industry has changed. I’m older than 30. And I’ve lived in South Florida almost longer than I’ve lived anywhere.
So when an opportunity to work for a magazine within driving distance of my hometown, in a city I enjoy visiting and have friends in, became available, I applied. And I got the job. So today, I am starting the drive from Boca Raton, Florida, where it’s about 80 degrees and I held a job that has helped me grow professionally and I have met great people and had wonderful experiences, to Minneapolis, where it’s about zero degrees and I’m entering the world of magazine publishing, where I can drive to see my family and spend holidays with them for the first time in my career.
Whew, for not talking about myself, that was a lot, huh?
How does this affect you, the reader, and my blog? Weeeellll, this kind of explains why I have been quieter on the blog the past half-a-year or so. And due to location the blog will change a little, including (but I’m sure not limited to):
- Seasons (not just comfortable and hot) will be included in this blog.
- I plan to get a bike soon, so you can hear about those adventures. I haven’t been on a bike on a regular basis since I was about 15 years old.
- Produce will definitely change. Goodbye mangoes and avocados from coworkers yards and year-round farmers’ markets. Hello apples and other foods I will be introduced to and getting excited when the growing season starts.
- Running will include more than just flat land and warm temperatures.
- I hope to share more of the restaurants, markets and shops I visit and explore in my new city. I have meant to share where I go in South Florida more, but haven’t been good about it. But going forward, the blog will include more of that.
I’m sure there are many things I’m forgetting. I’m sad to leave Florida but happy to be closer to home in a journalism capacity.
If you live in or are visiting the Twin Cities, have something to share as I get adjusted or want to meet up for a drink or at a garden (when it’s nice) or the market, please let me know! And please send good thoughts as I travel from South Florida to the Upper Midwest.